Sunday, March 3, 2013

Getting Rid of Old Eyes

I have always been a makeup fanatic and since I've been a stay at home mom for the last 10 years I've had to start wearing drug store brands.  At first I didn't know how I would survive but it's actually quite easy.  There are tons of great products sitting on drug store shelves waiting to be discovered so I'm going to share a few of my favorites with you.  Well this Winter has been wreaking havoc on my skin!  I feel like I look at least ten years older than I really am.  Normally my skin is pretty run of the mill, dry cheeks and an oily t-zone.  I'm also blessed with occasional breakouts, too. Thankfully nothing like when I was younger but I still have to use a blemish targeting product occasionally.  Well it's either the drier air, or the fact that once you turn 40 everything goes downhill, that is causing me to resemble a dried up prune.
Let's take a look at my products:

I love the Deep Wrinkle Cream but it can be VERY drying, especially this time of year.  I use this strictly at night.  This product is so good at evening tone, softening, and reducing breakouts I never want to be without it.  I stick with the Oil-Free Moisture for day because I'm terrified that anything with oil in will make me break out or look like an oil slick by midday.  Problem is, this isn't nearly hydrating enough in the Winter. Used together at night my skin does feel hydrated in the morning and looks smooth, too.  Not now though.  I scoured my favorite website for the perfect moisturizer and came across Neutrogena's Intensified Day Moisture SPF 15.  I'll be honest, the SPF scared me.  I've never had good luck with products that contain sunblock, physical or chemical.  After testing it a day or so I began using it full-time and liked how my skin looked, plumped and dewy but now my neck was dry and itchy so I started using it there.  After about a week and a half I developed a rash on my neck and my cheeks became itchy.  I stopped using the Day Moisture and have been to afraid to try another one, I'm just using more of the Oil Free Moisture.  Weeks later things are better and I've even spot treated a couple dry patches with the prior, without problem. But this was the least of my complaints!
It's bad enough when you feel like your face is thirsting for moisture but when your eyes are thirsty, well you've got a BIG problem!  Let me paint a picture for you: dry, flaky, crepe-y, sensitive, contact wearing eyes with little bags underneath that accentuate the dark circles under each one.  Sounds pretty, right?  They're not the worst I've ever seen but they're the worst mine have ever been.  Off to one of my favorite websites again (makeupalley.com) to find a "miracle cure".  Being a "Neutrogena girl"  I checked their reviews first.  I'd been wanting to try the Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream so I made my choice.  I have to admit that I like it.  The problem is, it wasn't doing enough for my dehydration.  Off to research eye products again.  This time I decided to go with another favorite line of mine, Boots.  I settled on the Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Eye Cream.  Very nice product, but for nighttime only.  I found that my makeup settled into the fine lines when I used this during the day.  After some trial and error testing I found a happy medium, Rapid Repair and Yes to Blueberries for day and Rapid Repair and Boots for night.  Ahhh, relief.  My eyes no longer look like the eyes of a dehydrated 85 year old.
Don't be afraid to try new items.  They may be a complete miss but how will you ever know if you don't experiment a little.  And don't be afraid to check out the hidden gems at your local drugstore!

New signature photo Clarissa_zpsbvf3pcj7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment