Saturday, June 15, 2013

Refreshing Fruit Smoothie

As soon as school's out for the Summer and the kids are home all day I find myself at a loss when it comes to meal time. While a can of soup usually satisfies one the other one asks for her favorite concoction, a homemade fruit smoothie. Yes it can be a pain in the behind to have to clean the blender out every single day but how can I argue when she's actually eating fruit? I've been treating the kids to these for a couple of years, even though Chloe the oldest doesn't drink them anymore. When schools out Jensen knows she can count on one of these yummy, cool meals on the go any day of the week. At our house this smoothie can be used for breakfast, brunch or snack. It's so easy to make and the varieties are endless. Today I'm showing you our basic banana, strawberry and blueberry smoothie.
What you'll need: a blender, skim milk, your favorite yogurt, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, 1 banana, several ice cubes. I don't measure anything when it comes to making these. Use more or less of any of the ingredients to get the consistency or flavor you want. First add 3 - 4 heaping spoonfuls of yogurt to the blender. I use fat free vanilla flavored. Pour in about 1/2 a cup of milk, use your judgement. More for a more liquid-y smoothie less for a thicker one. Peel your banana and add it in pieces.
Next add your frozen fruit. I use frozen whole strawberries and blueberries because I think the frozen fruit grinds up easier and helps keep the smoothie cooler, longer. I use roughly a handful of blueberries and about 1 1/2 handfuls of strawberries. Add a few ice cubes.
Get ready to liquefy! If your blender doesn't have that setting (it should) then grind!
Voila! A delicious, yummy treat you don't have to feel guilty about letting the kids drink! Enjoy!
New signature photo Clarissa_zpsbvf3pcj7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment