Sunday, October 6, 2013

Can we install crown molding?

My husband and I are very much the do-it-yourself type homeowners. We live in a triple wide and have re-drywalled about 80% of the house with only the mudroom/washroom, master bedroom and master bath left. We repainted the bathroom years ago and installed a new tub but that was the extent of that redo. Because we opt to do the work ourselves sometimes projects take longer than expected. Like five years longer. Yes, we have been putting off and putting off the crown molding project in the living room and dining room/kitchen forever! The part that scared us the most was the angles. My hubby insisted that we would not be able to handle cutting all of the funky angles because of the fact that the rooms are vaulted. I insisted we could but who knows, maybe it is much more complex than I'm imagining (even though I imagine it being very difficult). What's a girl to do when she's been staring at an unfinished path of rooms for what seems like an eternity? We decided to think outside the box. The hubby had asked me my opinion of using molding on the very top of the wall where it meets the ceiling and I shot that idea down immediately.
I mean, come on we already had all of the regular crown molding painted and downstairs, it made no sense to go out and buy more molding. Well, last week I finally blew my top and after a heated discussion, finally gave into the idea of looking into other options. Off to Lowe's we went. I must say that there are tons of different molding styles out there, and that, I'd already known. It was the lack of molding that suited my need that struck me. I felt like Goldilocks for awhile, that one's too wide, too narrow, too thick, too boring. I really thought this was going to be a lot harder than what I'd assumed. Then, we stumbled upon a nice not too wide and not too narrow board that was plain but just right. With a little bit of creativity this could be the start of our crown molding. (Do I still call it that since it's not really crown molding?) I say the start because I plan to add to this basic board to add more detail.
But first the board must go up and that is happening this weekend. I plan on posting our progress and hopefully if everything turns out nicely it will help someone else address what to do with vaulted ceilings that need crown molding.
New signature photo Clarissa_zpsbvf3pcj7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment