Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake


 I have a confession to make.  This is not the first cookie cake I've ever made.  I made one right before this one and here that one is...


 All 50 million pieces of it.  Maybe not 50 million but when it crumbled that's what it seemed like.  This whole cookie cake thing started with my youngest daughter, Jensen.  She decided that instead of taking cupcakes to school for her birthday, that she never eats anyways, she wanted to take a cookie cake.  I don't know about you but I am a firm believer that homemade always tastes better when it comes to cookies and cakes so I happily offered to make her one.  Something tells me she was a little skeptical when she asked what we were going to do if it didn't turn out right so I hopped on Pinterest to do my research.  Keep in mind that she requested this cookie cake on a Monday and needed it by Wednesday, today which didn't leave me with much time to taste test different recipes.


 I found a recipe on allrecipes.com, and gave it a go last evening.  The plan?  Make 2 cakes and whichever one looked the best would go to school with Jensen.  At first I thought the cookie was a little too sweet and maybe I should've cut the sugar down but judging from my hubby and the kids they thought it was perfect but did request that I lessen the amount of chocolate chips (I know, it sounds crazy but really, 2 cups is a lot of chocolate chips especially when you mix in some mini m&m's).


 Here's the important thing to remember.

  • Keep the dough an inch to 2 inches from  the edge of the pan.  It will spread! 
  • I used a 15 inch pan with a slight lip and some dough came up over the lip but didn't spread over the side.  I just used a knife to cut it off. 
I started this process after 7:00 pm and with only one pizza pan, I was rushing to get the first cookie cake out of the pan and onto 2 cooling racks and this was the result, so please allow it to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.  Thankfully the second one turned out great and my daughter gave it a thumbs up.  


Last night I baked my first and second cookie cake and there's really not much to it.   Anyone who can make cookies or bake a pizza can do it.  If you are looking for a thick cookie cake you will not like this recipe.  This cake is exactly like a giant cookie and as thick as one.  Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar (could possibly be cut to 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed 
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (throw in an extra handful)
1/2 cup mini m&m's

Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar.  Add vanilla.  Scrape sides of bowl if using a mixer.  Add eggs, mixing well after each one.  Gradually add baking soda, salt and flour.  Finally, add the chocolate chips and m&m's.  Spoon the mixture onto a greased 15" pizza pan.  Spread mixture evenly on pan leaving 1 - 2 inches clean around edges.  It will spread.  Bake for 18 - 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.  Cookie should be lightly browned.  Allow to cool, then decorate.  Cut and serve.

New signature photo Clarissa_zpsbvf3pcj7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment