Friday, January 23, 2015

Peanut Butter Brownies for a Snowy Day


It snowed the other day.  If you are lucky enough to live in an area that experiences four seasons then you know what that means for kids.  "Will we have school?" comes out of every child's mouth.  Remember when you were a kid sitting in school and you saw snowflakes starting to fall?  Remember how you'd get excited when an announcement came over the loud speaker saying you were going to be dismissed early because of the inclement weather?  I do, and I loved those days.  Well the other day was one of those days so I decided to surprise the kiddos and make one of their favorite snacks, Peanut Butter Brownies.  And not just any peanut butter brownie, but one with chocolate chips, too.  


Yes, one of the most addictive, delicious, yummy creations to come out of my oven.  Now I've never, ever made a single batch of these so I'm giving you the recipe based on my preference for doubling it. I found this little gem on allrecipes.com, one of my favorite recipe websites (you'll see it on my sidebar).  The only thing I modified was the sugar because I really don't think you need all that is listed on the original recipe.


Here's everything you need to  make these heavenly brownies.  Technically they're not brown but would they sound as yummy if they were called "tannies"?  And they're not really blondies, either so, we'll just stick with brownies.


Here you're mixing your margarine/butter and peanut butter until well combined.  I used my electric mixer so don't be fooled by the scraper, even though they can be made just as easily by hand.


Next you want to toss in both sugars, the eggs and vanilla.  Then mix again until nice and fluffy.  Be sure to scrape the sides during all the steps.  :)


Add the dry ingredients.


This is what it should look like when you're finished.  But wait, you still need to add the chocolate chips!  I think that's what pushes this recipe over the top!


I don't even measure them.  I just dump until I think it looks like enough.  I stirred them in by hand until they were pretty evenly incorporated into the mixture.  Oh and don't forget to lick the beater, I won't tell.


Spread evenly into a greased 9" x 13" pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 - 35 minutes.  I checked mine at 25 minutes and ended up baking them for 33 minutes.  The edges may get much darker but I want the middle to get done so I watch them closely in the last couple of minutes.  Remove from the oven and enjoy.



Did you ever hear the "brownie rule" of waiting to cut your brownies until they are totally cooled?  Yea, well the person who made that up probably didn't like brownies.  I tried a corner right away and later cut this piece.  Perfection!  And the kids were happy, too.  Because nothing beats getting out of school early on a snowy day and coming home to mom's Peanut Butter Brownies.


Ingredients:

1 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup margarine/butter softened
1 cup granulated sugar (you can even knock this down to 3/4 cup and it's fine)
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 - 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

I hope you love these as much as my family does, now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cut myself another one.  Enjoy!!












New signature photo Clarissa_zpsbvf3pcj7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment